Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Moody Mondays...

Let me just explain my situation. It's almost too beautiful. This morning I woke up, opened my curtains to look out on the most beautiful scene even William Eggleston could not rightly capture. I fell in love this morning. I thought it was near impossible, but a man named Matterhorn wooed my young heart in a matter of a sunrise. Breakfast was full of tea, homemade bread, and young minds. Honestly though, I think I can say this...I'm going to say it...I like my collection of teas better than this swiss crap...I said it. The chocolate here though...it's so good I want to curse it. Make sense? Have you ever loved something so much you wanted to wrestle it? (This is for sure not a valid excuse of physical abusers or attackers.) But you know, have you ever loved something so much you just want to curse it, use passionate vernacular as it is, perhaps, the only way to convey the beauty and glory of something. Anyways, that's beside the point. Just know...it was beautiful this morning...and the chocolate is passionately remarkable.

Mondays. The whole community of L'abri gathers around to pray together. It was beautiful. There was a girl there, name unidentified. To hear her pray in her primary language, German, and to listen to the tears that flowed was an experience of vulnerability no Websters dictionary could ever encompass. (She can speak English, but her main language is German.) South Koreans, Germans, New Zealanders, English, Hollanders, Jamaicans, and Americans gathered together to do something that can be so difficult for the confused wanderer. It was a beautiful representation of something that exceeds simple Western culture Christianity.

I imagined this place for years, and such is it's beauty, perhaps far more. Combine culture, art, music, outdoors, literature, and spiritual seeking--you have Swiss L'abri. The people here are difficult to distinguish by certain traits or thoughts. Imagine a place of combined cultures coming together in the pursuit of something, of a desire pertaining to the character of God. The desire is to know God. And, although he is mysterious and beyond all thought or knowledge, that doesn't stagnate seeking, nor should it necessitate a surrender of search. If I were to continue ignoring, or closing my eyes, to that which he has revealed, I would be a fool to glory. It's not about making God who you want Him to be. I'm learning that that is my valued pride. Sometimes it can be so difficult for me to accept God as He reveals Himself because I would rather form an image of my own mold. How painful and how disdainful to have a God as limited as me!

The people here want something, and they are willing to forgo the pleasures of business, of workplace, and of certain freedoms, to seek after such. I do not mean to judge those who are not here, diswarranting their pursuit amidst their distinguished scene. Both are valuable. Both are, or can be purposeful. And both have the potential of being abused. However, I am simply addressing the uniqueness of the people I am surrounded by. They are all so different, but among the group is a bond of choice that goes undismissed. Meaning-the community of this place is so valuable because it is a place that most have chosen to come to, have sacrificed to be here(whether of finances, of relationships back home, or of, simply, time), and all are interested in similar things--to an extent. It's a certain crowd that this place draws, which builds close relationships quickly, easily, and, perhaps, permanently.

Also, serving is not an option. The community thrives because you work together, you eat together, you discuss together, and you, sometimes, study together. Serving is part of L'abri. It's not a part of an awards program. You won't receive an "I am third." or some kind of recognition for "helping out." Those things, being service, are part of the program. At least once a day you are expected to volunteer to do dishes. Half of the day you spend working, involving either cleaning, gardening, baking, or organizing. The other half of the day is, of course, study.

I will get to what I am studying soon, as well as some discourse on things of swiss perception.

2 comments:

dougiepoo said...

I love reading your blog... your writings are a mix of light hearted silliness and intense purpose.
Love you

Anonymous said...

this is great. i'm so glad you're there. i'm also glad you made it there safely, i was praying for your journey.

my favorite part of english l'abri was that because everyone was there to learn and discuss, anyone would have an intense discussion with you about any topic at any time.

i want to hear about the workers, what they're like.