Monday, May 26, 2008

Pendititis

I got really sick today for some reason...

it was quite bizarre...

but I had a fever and was quite nauseous. 

My sweet friends here were incredible. Kara, Bethany, Becca, and Josh took care of me all day long. 

At one point I am told that I was hallucinating.

Kara came in and asked me how I was feeling, and I told her that I didn't think I was too good because I had "pendititis. "(not to be confused with appendicitis) She said, "Oh...mm...well I haven't heard of that before."

I think I told her that was because it was really rare. I also told her that my friend Katy Robb had it and I thought I did as well. This being said, I asked her what the symptoms were....

To which she responded, "Well, hmm, I don't know...."

I did not think that that was a sufficient response and so I told her to go and ask Dr. John. 

She asked, "Who's Dr. John?"

I told her that it was Dr. John Sandri and made her feel like an absolute fool for even having to ask. (John Sandri is not a doctor. He is a volunteer worker at L'abri and he works in the office right next to my room.) 

So, to appease me, she went and asked "Dr. John" and explained to him my dire/deathly situation. 

He was confused as he too did not know the symptoms for "pendititis." He had her tell me that I had the L'abri flu....to which I was satisfied and resorted back to my coma. 

I slept the ENTIRE day but was woken up so that Kara could help bathe me. I guess I had a fever, and I guess I didn't smell very good. She literally sat alongside my bath and helped me wash my hair. 

It was quite humbling actually. 

I was humbled and hungry. So, at dinner, I woke up and went down to sit in some corner and eat. Eating felt better, but I am really weird when I get sick. They told me some more stories. 

Kara said she had to check to see if I was breathing a couple of times because I laid in the same position for about ten hours. 

The people here are wonderful. Later in the evening some of us sat on the upstairs porch and Bethany read Franny and Zooey to us. It was good, but I still had chills a bit. 

Right now I just feel simple and shaky....and I can't sleep...

I hope this doesn't start a bad pattern. 

1 comment:

dougiepoo said...

hope you are feeling better. Its a good thing that you have attentive friends who are NOT nurses.