Friday, May 16, 2008

Quick Lessons of a Traveler

All right friends. Here is a little gift for you, some traveling tips. Ready, set, go. Lessons of traveling.

 Lesson 1. Always make friends. I was on the plane today and met a man and his wife who were teachers in St. Joe, Missouri at Missouri Western. Small world. 

Lesson 2. Always eavesdrop. They started chatting about where they were staying, which was, crazy, the exact destination of myself.

Lesson 3. Be upfront. Right away I asked them if I could follow them to their hotel. This may sound bizarre, but our relationship was developed enough to where anything could be said. I move fast in these situations...like walking wise...

Lesson 4. Bring a credit card.

Lesson 5. Have a t-mobile phone. Yes, I have sprint, and while it is great in the Americas, it blows in the UK.

Lesson 6. Make sure you know exactly where you are staying and have confirmation that everything has been paid for. Keep receipts. Ask for every piece of information.

Lesson 7. Build relationships EVERYWHERE you go. Talk to everyone. You may think you are being annoying, but the only way to function in a sole travel is to talk, to eavesdrop, and to stalk.

Lesson 8. Never let someone else make your plans without your knowing the EXACT details. 

I got to the Hilton today and I gave the lady at the counter my name. She said, “Emily Camp, ok, can I swipe your credit card.” I said, “I don’t have a credit card. (Mom, I knew you guys should have helped me out with that, for emergencies).” She said, “Well, do you have your confirmation sheet.” I said, “No, what is that and how do I get it?” She said, “Well your dad should have had it and given it to you, or he could fax it. Can you call him?” To which I responded, “My phone doesn’t have any service.” This is when the helping hands of that couple came in handy because the man walked over and said, “What does she need?” The lady said I needed a credit card and a cell phone that functioned. The man gave me his cell phone and I called my dad. Good thing he answered….not. 

He called me back though.

 Long story short, I’m still not sure what happened. Part of me feels like I may have gotten a free room from the hotel because they felt bad for me. The other part of me wonders if they maybe messed up and my dad was in the right. I am honestly leaning towards the primary. The lady looked at me and saw my utter fear/confusion and said, “Room 140 is on your left. And the bar is straight ahead.”

 

 

No comments: